The Giver Discussion Questions
1. Why do you think the community leaders made everyone go indoors when the plane went over?
2. What do think happens when a person is released?
3. Why do you think Jonas is apprehensive about The Ceremony of Twelve?
1. Why do you think the parents in Jonas's community are assigned children instead of giving birth to them?
2. Why do you think the elders of the community assign jobs rather than allowing people to chose their own job?
3. How would you feel if you weren't allowed to chose what you wanted to do when you got older?
1. Why do you think it is considered rude and unsettling in Jonas's community to call attention to things that are different about a person?
2. How would you feel if a public announcement was made about something you had done?
3. What do you think the change in the apple that Jonas saw was?
1. What type of place would you volunteer at if you worked in Jonas's community?
2. Why do you think that its against the rules to brag about your accomplishments?
3. Why do you think that children aren't allowed to attend the release ceremony?
1. Why do you think members of Jonas's community share their dreams?
2. What do you think Stirrings are?
3. Why do you think they must be reported?
1. Why do you think that Jonas's community has special ceremonies for the different age groups?
2. Where do you think Elsewhere is?
3. In Jonas's community the people are assigned a spouse. How would you feel if you were assigned a spouse?
1. Do you feel that Asher was unfairly punished for confusing snack and smack? Explain why or why not.
2. Why do you think Jonas is unsure about what he will be assigned?
3. Why do you think Jonas was passed over?
1. What do you think went wrong during the last selection for Receiver?
2. Why do you think the training for Receiver is different than the training for other assignments?
3. What do you think happens during training for Receiver of Memory?
1. Why do you think Jonas feels that things are changing?
2. Why do think that the community isn't supposed to use or speak the name of the person who was selected as the last receiver?
3. Why do you think the community is so against lying?
1. Why do you think that it is forbidden to talk about the training for Receiver of Memory?
2. Why do think Jonas is unfamiliar with the concepts of "whole world" and "generations before."
3. Do you think that it is odd that Jonas doesn't know about snow or sleds? Explain why or why not?
1. How would you feel if you lived in a place that didn't have snow or sunlight?
2. Why do you think Jonas wishes that they had some of the things before sameness?
3. What do think sameness is?
1. Would you be able to tell someone about a sled ride if they had no concept of hills, wind, cold, or snow? Explain why or why not.
2. What do you think sameness is?
3. Do you think the community should have given up colors why or why not?
1. What do you think the Giver means when he says" It's the choosing that's important."?
2. Do you think that the communities is right to protect people from making their own choices?
3. How would you feel if everything looked the same and you weren't allowed to make any choices?
1. Why do you think the realization that people have never known pain in his community makes Jonas feel lonely?
2. Do you think that everyone in the community should share the memories?
3. Why do you think that the the power Jonas has frightens him?
1. Why do you think the memory of war caused the Giver pain?
2. What war do you think Jonas was seeing?
3. What does warfare mean to you?
1. Why did Jonas not want to go back to the Annex?
2. Why do you think Jonas's community got rid of love?
3. Why do you think Jonas continues to share his memories with Gabe?
1. Do Jonas's family really feel emotion? Explain why or why not?
2. Why doesn't Jonas understand that the game of war is wrong?
3. Why does Jonas want to give Asher and Fiona the emotions that he has?
1. Why do you think that the Giver was unable to give Rosemary memories of physical pain?
2. Why do you think Rosemary requested Release?
3. Why do you think the Giver was concerned about Jonas going near the river?
1. Why do you think the Giver wishes the didn't release new children?
2. Why do you think Rosemary chose to giver herself the shot?
3. What do you think Jonas is feeling about the Release?
1. What is your opinion of Release? Be detailed.
2. Why do you think the Giver is helping Jonas escape?
3. Why do you thing the Giver hasn't wanted to share his memory of music?
1. Why does Jonas hope that the Giver knows he said goodbye?
2. Why do you think Jonas takes Gabe with him?
3. What would you have done if you were in Jonas's situation?
1. Describe some of the things that Jonas experiences in the Chapter that he has never experienced before?
2. Besides starvation what are some other dangers that Jonas could have face?
3. Would you have stayed in the community where you were safe and well fed or would you have left with Gabriel?
1. How do you think that the memories of his family, friends, and the Giver help Jonas?
2. Do you think that Jonas and Gabe will be safe in that community? Explain why or why not.
3. Do you think that Jonas was truly hearing music or was he hearing an echo?